Calling Any and ALL Creative Types – Artists, Class Clowns, Acrobats, Musicians, jugglers, Animal Trainers & Wannabe Entertainers:
The Portland Rose Festival wants you to join the wackiest group of people in Portland!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 28, 2023
After 15 years of clowning around in the City of Portland, the Rose Festival Clowns are looking for more people to join the team of the silly, zany and wacky merrymakers.
It's Rose Festival fun during its three-week run of the festival that starts on Memorial Weekend. This is close enough to home that you can also keep that day job while living out the age-old fantasy of running away to join the circus!
We will be holding auditions in March for a lucky few to become one of Rose Festival Clowns. You do not need to have skills to become a clown; all you need is to have a heart as big as all outdoors.
Accepted applicants must participate in a 2-day clown workshop on April 1 & 2, 2023. Once the workshop is completed you will have opportunities to perform with avant-garde clown professional Angel Ocasio (our boss clown and festival mascot, the Clown Prince); receive a makeup kit and costume; and learn a variety of circus and theater skills that will help in developing your very own clown character. Once accepted in the program, you will be a part of the wacky class of 2023 and join other clowns from as far back as 2008, the year this amazing program started. You will participate in parades and other special Rose Festival events. The clowns will contribute their special blend of love and laughter to the Rose Festival and the local community. Named one of the Best Educational Programs in the World for festivals and events by International Festivals and Events Association, the Rose Festival Clowns has become one of the favorite Rose Festival features. It's been a hit since its inception!
The Portland Rose Festival is committed to following local, state, and federal recommendations and guidelines regarding public health and safety for gathering safely.
The Portland Rose Festival Foundation is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion by producing safe, welcoming, and inclusive events that celebrate the diversity of our city and state and will continually evaluate its practices and decisions using an equity lens.
- The Rose Festival Clowns is open to aspiring performers ages 13 and up.
- A Rose Festival panel will select participants based on application materials, as well as a casual interview and audition piece (tell a joke, do a magic trick, play a musical instrument. Do you play a kazoo, juggle or spin a yo-yo? Think outside of the box or play in a box, just be creative).
- Application must include a photo of yourself (not in clown makeup)
- Interview/Auditions will be held on Wednesday, March 14, 2023 (By Appointment Only)
- Application must be received by February 28, 2023
- Parent or guardian permission is required for minors to participate (ages 13-17).
- Applicants 18 and over undergo a background check (after auditions).
- Rose Festival Clowns pay a $40.00 fee to cover their makeup, costumes and additional training. ($20.00 for Clowns under 18 years of age.)
Participants must be available for the following dates (these events are REQUIRED):
- April 1 & 2 – Clown Weekend Workshop (Saturday & Sunday 9:00am-5:00pm). Location TBD.
- May 26 - Opening of CityFair (5:00pm)
- May 29 (Memorial Day) – Kids, Clowns & Characters Event (12:00pm-4:00pm)
- June 3 - CareOregon Starlight Parade (7:30pm)
- June 10 - Spirit Mountain Casino Grand Floral Parade (8:00 am pre-show entertainment, 10:00 am parade start)
The following events are optional:
- TBA - 82nd Avenue of Roses Parade (9:30 am)
- TBA - St. Johns Parade (12:00 noon)
- June 7 - Fred Meyer Junior Parade (1:00pm)
NOTE: All event dates subject to CHANGE
FILL OUT AND SUBMIT BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEB. 28, 2023
Please read the Rose Festival Clowns Application Contract (click on the words 'application contract' to review), and check the box to agree (required).
If you are completing this application on a mobile device, please e-mail your photo to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, a photo is required to complete your application.
You will be contacted by Angel Ocasio after the application deadline regarding the next steps in the process.
If you have questions, please email Angel
Be sure to check the "I'm not a robot" box and click the SUBMIT button to complete your application.